The E-4 model of the Bf 109E series followed up the E-3 version around May 1940 with improved visibility by a new canopy that was easier to manufacture, too. Also a bullet proof armour plate behind the pilot´s head became a standard from this model on. The armament was improved, too, by upgrading the 20mm MG FF wing cannons to MG FF/M. The “M” suffix meant that more destructive mine shells (Minengeschoss) could be used in addition to other “normal” ammunition. Whereas the standard 20mm explosive shell could riddle an enemy´s fuselage the new Minengeschoss had a much larger explosive charge that, used together with a timed detonator, would detonate inside the enemy’s fuselage, tearing it apart or at least tearing some big holes into the aircraft.
Eén uitvoering mogelijk;
- Luftwaffe - Lt.Jozef Eberle, 9./JG54, August 1940. ( belly landed on August 12, 1940, in France after having crossed the Channel. )