AVRO SHACKLETON MR.3 AIR-SEA RESCUE
The Avro Shackleton was a British long-range maritime patrol aircraft for use by the Royal Air Force (RAF) and the South African Air Force (SAAF).
It was developed by Avro from the Avro Lincoln bomber, itself being a development of the famous wartime Avro Lancaster bomber. The type is named after the polar explorer Sir Ernest Shakleton.
Entering service with the RAF in 1951, the Shackleton was used primarily in the anti-submarine warfare (ASW) and maritime patrol aircraft (MPA) roles; it also became used as a search and rescue (SAR) platform and for performing several other secondary roles such as being a troop-transport. In later life, a small number of the RAF's Shackletons were subsequently adapted for airborne early warning (AEW) duties, performing in this capacity until the type's retirement in 1991. The Shackleton was also procured by South Africa, and was operated by the SAAF between 1957 and 1984.
Maritime reconnaissance, anti-shipping aircraft. The tail wheel configuration was replaced by a tricycle undercarriage, addition of a nose entrance hatch, wingtip tanks to increase fuel capacity. To increase crew comfort the inside was sound proofed, better crew seats and re-arranged tactical team positions. To make room for some of the internal re-arrangement the dorsal turret was not fitted. The first MR.3 flew on 2 September 1955, the aircraft had problems with stalling characteristics and crashed on 7 December 1956. The variant entered service with 220 Squadron at RAF St Eval in August 1957. The RAF ordered 52 aircraft but later following the 156 Defence Review it was reduced to 33 aircraft. An additional aircraft was also built to replace the aircraft lost during stalling trials. An additional eight aircraft were exported to South Africa.
Twee uitvoeringen mogelijk;
AVRO SHACKLETON MR.3 - Aircraft of Coastal Command, RAF in the colour of No.206 Squadron.
AVRO SHACKLETON MR.3 - Aircraft of the South African Air Force Maritime Command.
Aantal onderdelen; 147
Released by Frog in 1967